80,000 staff of ‘our nhs’ still unjabbed.
Grouville St. Mary 19 Jan 22 09:01
Reply |

Sacking deadline soon

It’s 6%. Which doesn’t sound like much but remember the NHS is always running at capacity even pre pandemic. It’s like a machine running at max with no margin for error. Certainly not 6%. 

plus even if the system could absorb that, it’ll be pretty hard if they all leave overnight. 

Most importantly the 6% is not evenly distributed (which would be easier to handle). I think nearly all docs are jabbed and most nurses but for Eg the proportions for support staff are way way lower. 

All it takes is for one group of MRI scanner operators in hospital or porters/cleaners in another hospital to leave en masse to cripple an NHS Trust and lead to headlines that are completely politically unacceptable. 

Keep in mind that the original rationale for the then unprecedented lockdown in March 2020 was to avoid exactly those kind of headlines about the NHS..

Also note that several places in the US have backed down on similar mandates for similar reasons. The biggest I can think of is the Chicago Police when the Mayor backed off a mandate at 87% jabbed in police when she realised she couldn’t afford to lose 13% of the police force overnight. 

Got to remember social care gave had this for a while now. 

Politically it’s a bad look to coerce the poorer, younger, massively female social care workforce then say “Oh my mate Crispin, a cardiologist doing 4 days NHS a decade, won’t get the jab because Rolo, his beautiful black lab, doesn’t like the scent of vaccinated people.”

Agree with splish - it's all kinds of wrong to inflict this on MW care workers while giving NHS a free pass (irrespective of the stupidity of the policy itself).

I suspect they'll take it to the wire of the 4 Feb deadline before the inevitable humiliating capitulation. A fair chunk of the 80k might have had a jab by then anyway. 

I don't know any jab refusenik doctors - it seem a like being an anti-capitalist banker to me. 

It’s not that Splishsplash. It’s that a lot more of social care and care homes is privatised and the staffing crisis and it’s impact there is much less visible and much easier to ignore politically than in flagship NHS hospitals. 

Also keep in mind that Crispin the cardiologist and Sally the nurse are almost certainly vaccinated. It’s Adebole the porter and Bradley the MRI operator and Lubna Begum who works in back office accounts who are least likely to be vaccinated 

My aunt is a midwife she will be gone, as will her partner who is also a midwife

Yeah, midwives seem to be quite anti-vaxx as a group. As a group, they are frequently regarded as less than helpful by doctors.

They think - reasonably IMHO - that the risk/reward of taking the vaccine for a youngish healthy person who is at super low risk of serious COVID - is not worth it. 

I think people who have taken the current vaccines but fail to keep it topped up will have worse immune responses than the never-vaccinated

perhaps there will be sterilising vaccines before it matters

Surely the risk/reward is different if you’re a ST2 Ortho reg headed for a career of steady NHS work and very lucrative private earnings? 

How many solicitors wouldn’t get it if the consequence was getting struck off the roll? Particularly if you had a near guarantee of partnership. 

I wouldn’t lose my job over it either. But I can see where they are coming from. For many of them the choice is (they believe), between permanent long term physical harm and losing a job. You can see why they prioritise long term health over a job. 

Clergs £38k may not sound much to a qualifed lawyer, but it is not easy to walk into a job at that level if you do not have a professional qualification for it or a lot of experience.  Everyone is different of course but most midwives will struggle to find a job that pays 38k with generous pension and holidays.

For many of them the choice is (they believe), between permanent long term physical harm and losing a job.

Then shame on the people who convinced them of this.

Certainly I've seen the policy of my employer is that my career would not be the same if I refused vaccination and would probably lead to me leaving. I had the jab ages ago and thought about it as just another one in the long list of vaccinations my work has required for various reasons. Wasn't even the most unpleasant. The rabies jabbing I received probably wins that award.

I really hope they don't cancel the requirement.

There are far too many nurses in the NHS who are completely inept, rude and should not be working in the medical industry. One of my high school friends became a nurse after being unable to keep a supermarket job - nice girl but so stupid. Reminds me of Rhamnousia.

I imagine those inept nurses are the anti-vaxxers. Again, similar to Rhamnousia.

It is dreadful to impose this requirement. I am sure they will find other jobs. it is a London and Birmingham issue apparently. I am in London and not have the vaccination.

They were bringing the requirement in for adult care home workers from 11 Nov. That has been pushed back various times, currently to 1 April.

Would be surprised if this came in on that date as planned. That said, they are steaming ahead with loads more guidance issued for employers and ‘deadline day’ of 3 Feb isn’t far off.

I think the Govt continues to have their heads in the clouds about how much people who have declined to be vaccinated care about keeping their jobs by contrast.

Also re the midwives discussion, they tend to work their hours across 3 long shifts a week.

Working 5 days a week (whether Monday to Friday or otherwise) isn’t necessarily attractive to somebody used to working those condensed hours. 

Nb123 can you please provide a link to any deferment on adult care homes? I can’t find anything other than stories of people being sacked in November?

Nope, quite the opposite, hence the protesting. Though actually she may be able to start claiming her work pension if they let her go.

she is a bit of an odd one really. She is against fluoride in water, she drives to Liverpool every month or so to buy alkaline water from a random man from Facebook 

I think there’s a lot easier solution to this:

Freeze the employee process

Get the medical professional organizations  (eg BMA) to make it a condition of re-upping practicing certificates.

This takes the immediate heat out and will drag shoite out over several more months and it’s no longer an employment tribunal issue risk for the NHS (ain’t no one winning a claim for being suspended if they aren’t professionally certified)  

“she is a bit of an odd one really. She is against fluoride in water, she drives to Liverpool every month or so to buy alkaline water from a random man from Facebook”

OMFG this is both tragic and hilarious!!

CW, we don’t discuss it. My father is currently ill with covid and she turned up yesterday (to leave the car and travel to the protest) and went in the house etc 

She wasn’t best pleased that I spent six months volunteering with the vaccine roll out.