If you had 600k and had to spend it

… on a holiday home in the U.K., where would you buy. 

burnam o-s is a great call. Boscombe would be too depressing if under 73. And most of the properties (esp in that price range) are grim.

How about the Peak district?

That money is going to get you nothing on the south coast if you are dreaming of sea views, middle of the New Forest etc. If it were me I would buy somewhere cheaper in Wales or Scarborough as global warming means those places will get better. 

In any event, unless you are prepared to endure the ballache of renting out yourself commission will eat up most of your returns. I'd suggest you find an AirBnB somewhere you like and do a direct deal with the owner for a week or two every year. You should easily cover that out of the returns on £600k and are not taking a punt on a hot holiday home market in a country with poor long term economic prospects. 

North York Moors or Cairngorms, assuming I wasn’t planning on using it more than a few times a year.

If it’s more of a most weekends place, then north Dorset/south Wiltshire.

Jelly, that’s the one I had my eye on. Yeah, do worry about it being swallowed by Poseidon.

I had in mind, Norfolk, Suffolk and Pembrokeshire coasts. Some great alternative suggestions though. Like the idea of Peak and Lake Districts.

It would be a place for the family to use primarily. Occasional rentals but that’s not a major consideration or necessity. Lots of faff for probably not that much profit unless I let me mum live there and sort out bookings. 

North Norfolk somewhere. Wells, Cromer or even Old Hunstanton would be nice. 

Not sure how much £600k gets you in Burnham OS these days. It’s not even that close to the sea. 

the walk from Overy Staithe out to Gun Hill is amazing but you’re not going to get much close to the sea in that bit of north Norfolk for 600k. there are some nice places if you are willing to go inland though.

In laws are in Bridport. Place is OK. Some good pubs. Active Round Table, amazingly, and a nice walk to West Bay. 

Kids not keen on the move. There are fvck all young ppl there.

How about Totnes area ? It's a bit hippy dippy (the welcome sign on the road says "twinned with Narnia") but it's fairly well connected by road and rail, and is perfectly positioned for messing about on the Dart, going up to the moor, or pushing into the South hams for the best beaches.

I think someone was running an “illegal “ campsite in the summer. Yes it is fabulous and the views, stars, waves and sea are pretty Ace. 

Totnes is a great independent town but probably not great for a holiday home. Kingsbridge is a bit nicer and has more of a holiday feel. Neither has a lot of property so places don’t stay on the market long. 

£600k doesn’t get you an awful lot in south Devon - certainly something nicer with a couple of bedrooms but it’s not that cheap…

Hi Asimov

If you want coastal and for regular use by the family (assuming you live in London) - consider the  Isle of Sheppey.  There are around a dozen houses for sale between 500 & 600k, and you could buy a motorboat with any surplus cash, and dock at Queenborough Harbour.

Plus 1 for Kingsbridge. Gets the sun in the afternoon and evening too. There’s a couple of big houses out toward the sea that are converted into flats. Imagine not much on the market.

You could take a look further up the Dart at Tuckenhay, Stoke Gabriel for messing about in the water. Or toward Stoke Fleming for Blackpool Sands.

"You could take a look further up the Dart at Tuckenhay, Stoke Gabriel for messing about in the water."

Yep, these are the sort of places I mean by "Totnes area" really. Hard to get it wrong: you're either on the sea or on the Dart, or you're tucked away in some sheltered bucolic little valley. It's all perfect London antidote.

Just stay out of the sprawl of Torquay/Paignton/Brixham. 

The nicest village around there is Dittisham but the property there is pretty pricey (and rarely on the market) - but if you can find something (and for £600k its likely to be what everyone else is looking for), its a no brainer.  Tuckenhay is nice too - i like the Maltsers (which was Keith Floyd's once upon a time) if the weather is nice.  

Brixham has had strong price growth (i think one of the highest in the uk for coastal places in the last year) - and is a more affordable option - but agree Paignton and Torquay need to smarten up.  

I've always assumed Sheppey was a dump, based on a colleague who was from there and wanted to get the hell out.

Isn't it famous for its prisons and the fact it's the only part of the UK invaded since 1066?