Vacancy Type: Solicitor
Experience Level: Junior Level, Mid Level
Expiry date: 30/06/2022
Bird & Bird LLP is an international law firm which supports organisations being changed by technology or the digital world. We combine exceptional legal expertise with deep industry knowledge and refreshingly creative thinking, to help clients achieve their commercial goals. We have over 1,300 lawyers in 29 offices across Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and North America, as well as close ties with firms in other parts of the world. We have an array of practice areas, complemented by our industry-focused sector groups.
Bird & Bird's gambling team is ranked in Tier 1 in Legal 500 in the UK, and recently won Best Regulatory Law Firm of the Year at the VIXIO GamblingCompliance Global Regulatory Awards. The head of the team Andy Danson and senior associate Elizabeth Dunn are singled out as “leading individuals” and "rising stars" respectively in the legal directories.
Our gambling sector clients include many of the world's biggest and most innovative gambling operators and B2B suppliers, providing a steady stream of high quality instructions on the biggest commercial and regulatory issues in the gambling sector.
Our gambling team sits within the wider Media, Entertainment and Sport (MES) team in London, providing opportunities to work on cutting-edge deals for some the world's leading media and sports organisations.
London is the hub of our international gambling practice, which includes representatives across our network of 29 offices, including members of the International Masters of Gaming Law in more jurisdictions than any other firm.
What you'll do
- Your work will include gambling regulatory and licensing advice, and drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts in the gambling sector, including white label, affiliate, platform and game supply deals and the provision of hedging, odds and risk management services.
- You will regularly advise gambling operators and sports rights holders at the intersection of the sports and gambling sectors, on the supply of live sports data, the streaming of live sports content by betting operators, sports sponsorship deals and the provision of information for integrity purposes.
- You will have the opportunity to work with broadcasters, platforms, sports rights holders and technology businesses - from household names and high-growth businesses to start-ups - on a wide range of matters relating to the exploitation of content, technology and data and who operate across multiple territories.
- You will be part of a close-knit team of entrepreneurial partners and associates who are passionate about the law in the MES sector.
- You will work with colleagues from across the firm to draw on their expertise in international gambling regulation, intellectual property, data protection, dispute resolution, corporate, competition, tax, employment, and other areas of law, with specific focus on the requirements of the gambling and wider MES sectors.
- As you develop in experience, you will be given responsibility for your own matters and the opportunity and support to develop the skills, mentor, supervise, and take responsibility for more junior associates and trainees.
- The partners in the team are highly supportive of business development, and would support the successful candidate building their profile in this area, including winning and growing client relationships, attending pitches, speaking at conferences, and article writing.
- The main responsibilities of this role are outlined above, but this description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the team and the wider department. The role will regularly require working outside our normal working hours of 9:30am-5:30pm.
You will need to have very good commercial contracts experience and an understanding of gambling regulation, gained from working in a leading firm and/or from working in-house.
The successful candidate must have:
- Excellent academic achievement.
- Experience of handling complex commercial contracts and regulatory advice, with the ability to efficiently and flexibly manage and prioritise work across a broad range of matters and legal issues.
- Excellent all-round drafting skills and first-rate attention to detail.
- The ability to provide clear, precise, practical advice and support.
- Experience in (and knowledge of) the gambling sector.
- A flexible and responsive approach to meeting client needs.
- Confidence and calmness under pressure.
- A positive attitude towards work, the team, and clients.
- The ability to liaise effectively with other fee earners in the group, and also with fee earners from other relevant disciplines and jurisdictions as required.
- Delegation and supervisory skills where appropriate.
- An enthusiasm for supporting business development activity, participating in development and maintenance of client relationships, and identifying business opportunities.
- A commitment to regularly update your own technical expertise and to achieve continuous improvement and development, and contribute to the general upkeep of the group (precedents, or know-how generally).
- The ability to use social media platforms (e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter) to broadcast or amplify messages and to connect with external contacts/networks.
For further information about this role, please click on the link below to view the Job Description or contact Rachel Marshall, Recruitment Officer, on [email protected]. To apply, click on the apply now button to submit your details.