Vacancy Type: Solicitor
Experience Level: Senior Level
Expiry date: 30/04/2022
Bird & Bird LLP is an international law firm which supports organisations being changed by technology or the digital world. We combine exceptional legal expertise with deep industry knowledge and refreshingly creative thinking, to help clients achieve their commercial goals. We have over 1,300 lawyers in 29 offices across Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific, and North America, as well as close ties with firms in other parts of the world. If you want to find out more, visit www.twobirds.com.
The firm offers excellent prospects for progression and our culture provides all our people with world-class support to achieve their ambitions and goals.
Bird & Bird is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment and we are an equal opportunities employer. We support an agile working environment and are happy to discuss flexible working.
Our Tax Group provides an outstanding and comprehensive international offering. The combination of deep local knowledge, profound sector understanding and a commitment to delivering quality advice for our clients is what sets us apart. The UK Tax Disputes team comprises a team of 6 and forms part of a wider London Tax team of 3 partners and 12 fee earners. We deal with disputes across all taxes and cover civil and criminal enquiries. We also conduct compliance related advisory work and carry out investigative work.
The work is extremely varied, and we are best known for our investigations and tax fraud related cases. We conduct tax litigation at all levels with an increasing portfolio of judicial review work. Much of our work involves the entire team working for a client on a project basis.
What you'll do
The post holder will have experience of and be able to manage large tax disputes and investigations, with previous experience working in law firm. It would be in mind that this person would develop towards Legal Director and/or Partner.
The main responsibilities of this role are outlined above, however this description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the department. The role may require some working outside our normal working hours of 9:30am- 5:30pm.
Candidates will need to have some previous experience operating in a tax disputes environment and demonstrate first rate training and industry knowledge.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent academic achievements.
- Experience of handling a diverse range of tax disputes matters gained within a comparable environment and at an appropriate level.
- A desire to be working for a truly international firm.
- A clear understanding of the operation and structure of commercial law firms.
- Experience of managing large scale project work and managing team members closely on a day to day basis.
In addition, we expect the successful candidate to demonstrate:
- Flexibility and an ability to support matters from a broad range of sectors.
- The ability to manage aspects of complex matters and clients, with proven negotiation skills.
- A knowledge of key areas of the law by providing clear, precise, practical advice.
- The ability to use initiative and a confidence built upon solid success and achievements.
- The ability to liaise effectively with other fee earners from within the group, but also to liaise and coordinate with fee earners from other relevant disciplines and jurisdictions as required.
- Delegation and supervisory skills where appropriate.
- Being keen to work in a challenging, team-based environment.
- The willingness and ability to support business development activity, creating and maintaining strong client relationships and identifying new business opportunities.
- A commitment to regularly update their own technical expertise and to achieve continuous improvement and development.
- The ability to contribute to the general upkeep of the group (whether that be training, precedents, or know-how generally).
- The ability to use social media platforms (e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter) to broadcast or amplify messages and to connect with external contacts/networks.
This job description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the department.
For further information about this role, please click on the link below to view the Job Description or contact Rachel Marshall, Recruitment Officer, on [email protected]. To apply, click on the apply now button to submit your details.
Bird & Bird is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment. As part of our commitment to that goal, we are participating in the UK Mansfield Rule. Our commitment is to consider at least 30% female lawyers, lawyers of colour, lawyers with disabilities and/or lawyers who identify as LGBTQ+ for our fee earning roles.