The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is part of the corporate practice area and focuses on transactional and advisory work in the financial services sector. The group has a pre-eminent position within the UK and international legal marketplace (tier 1 for corporate insurance in the legal directories). FIG's clients include banks, insurers, re-insurers, insurance brokers (including the Lloyd’s market) asset managers and other financial institutions. The group's work is varied and includes corporate finance transactional work such as mergers and acquisitions (including through Part VII schemes), complex group restructurings, capital raisings, take-overs, IPOs, joint ventures and distribution agreements, minority investments, as well as corporate advisory and insurance regulatory advice.
The group is key to the Firm's ranking in the Global Insurance Sector – in which we advise the world's leading insurers and reinsurers on complex transactions, disputes, financing, regulatory and commercial matters. The team is an award winning, Tier 1 Chambers ranked global practice of over 200 fee-earners providing first class domestic and cross-border advice across the world's financial centres and the emerging markets.
Who you will work with
We have a reputation for advising financial institutions on complex strategic acquisitions and disposals. Our global corporate finance practice advises on the full range of public and private transactions.
The group consists of four partners, eighteen associates, and a dedicated PSL. Our team works closely with regulatory, banking & finance, capital markets, antitrust, tax, real estate and IP specialists on many of our matters allowing us to provide our clients with an impressive breadth and depth of knowledge.
What you will be responsible for
As an associate in our leading practice you will work at the forefront of the market advising financial sector clients across banking, insurance and asset management.
- You will be working as part of cross-border and interdisciplinary teams to advise on corporate finance activities, ensuring compliance with local laws and business requirements.
- Developing relationships with clients and actively engaging in business development and thought leadership initiatives and seeking out opportunities for new work.
- Drafting legal documents clearly and concisely, creating solutions using legal knowledge and commercial judgement to advise and support leading multi-national corporates.
Your career experience so far
You will have a solid background in corporate work, with solid transactional experience gained through working in a similar group probably at a City firm, or at an overseas common law practice with a highly regarded profile. Alternatively you may have experience in this space through a secondment to or employment in a financial institution of regulator.
Corporate transactional experience in the Financial institutions sector is desirable, as in insurance sector expertise.
An outstanding academic history and proven first rate legal skills, combined with a strong reputation amongst existing clients for providing commercial solutions, excellent transactional and managements skills, and be recognised as a lawyer that is sought out by existing clients.
You will naturally be able to demonstrate excellent document drafting skills. You should demonstrate strong communication and analytical skills along with a high level of commercial awareness.
You will need to demonstrate that you can thrive in a team with high professional standards and a flexible client-friendly commercial approach. You will have had strong exposure of collaborating with multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary teams.
It is crucial that you can demonstrate an appetite for business development, client relationship management and thought leadership.
How we will support you
From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to continuously grow and development your skills and knowledge. From formal training, informal coaching and mentoring through to skills-based and technical training and on the job learning.
- You will be working for a firm which is ranked #1 in both Chambers UK and Legal 500 for this group.
- You will be working with a broad range clients and the firm's other teams and practice areas, not only in London, but across the globe.
- You will be exposed to work which often involves complex, high margin matters that frequently headline in the financial and business press.
- You will have extensive client contact both as part of your daily working routine but also have the opportunity to develop client contacts through organising seminars for our key clients, including providing client training.
- You will develop an unbeatable multi-disciplinary skill set as well as client facing skills whilst working with some of the best-known market leaders in their respective practice areas.
- We will provide the opportunity for you to develop as a recognised practitioner in the field.
About the Firm
Whatever your area of expertise, you will find a range of career opportunities at Clifford Chance. And wherever you’re heading, Clifford Chance is where you can be true to your ambitions.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures and languages. In a world where commercial success increasingly relies on globalisation, we offer clients a truly international perspective, and we offer our people a rewarding and stimulating career.
We're proud of our approachable, friendly and team-based way of working. Highly professional and self-assured, with an entrepreneurial streak, our people are more than happy to share their expertise and knowledge.
At Clifford Chance we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm. Find out more here.
Competitive Salary and discretionary bonus, plus a range of exceptional benefits including pension, private medical cover, life insurance and income replacement insurance.